Saturday, February 18, 2012

Review: The Gateway (Harbinger of Doom Volume 1) by Glenn Thater

Hoo boy. This book made Mr Upstream very very thankful for the 'sample' button that ebooks feature. It also made Mr Upstream thankful for cheap alcohol.

Mr Upstream believes he will let Mr Thater's work speak for itself. Here area few examples of the (appropriately empurpled) prose inflicted upon the unsuspecting reader in The Gateway:

A grayed Lord and his lieutenants stood at the fore of a small wedge of armored soldiers, veterans all. Malignant, clinging mist wafted about, sickening the men and clouding their vision. With the mist came a thunderous cacophony that consumed the night, piercing the very souls of those unfortunates within its demesne. A maleficent, skirling, bestial sound, akin to naught in nature and much in nightmare. A preternatural wailing it was, and in its wake bounded death.

So the sound might not be so nice. This was the first paragraph, in case you were interested.

On to part II!

Angry wood screamed [really?] as the stairwell door burst open. Brother Claradon Eotrus's hand went to his sword hilt as several figures flew through the portal onto the tower's roof. Par Tanch spun toward them, death flaring in his eyes and blue fire licking the apex of his staff. But the wizard lowered his ensorcelled weapon, and his aspect softened at the sight of Sir Ector Eotrus's haggard face. At the young nobleman's heels were his diminutive comrade Ob and a glity-armored leviathan known as the Lord Angle Theta. Behind them came one Dolan Silk, a wiry man of sickly pallor and strange ears.

Rarely in Mr Upstream's long reading career has he seen such overwrought fiction. It's not quite to the level of, say, The Eye of Argon, but not for lack of effort.

And that, dear readers, is why Glenn Thater has earned the inaugural Upstream Independent Fiction Review Purple Prose award.

(Rating: 7/10 middle fingers)

4 comments:

Mark K said...

Greetings Mr Upstream,

Thank you for joining my blog. I'm honoured (and somewhat nervous after reading some of your reviews) and curious to have a reviewer of your unique talents following my simplistic missives.

I hope you do not mind, but I've decided to follow your review blog, and I also wondered if you wouldn't mind my 'tagging' you? If you'd rather not, I fully understand. But if so, please let me know - until then, here is a link to the blogger who has tagged me and it will give you a chance to see what it is all about.
http://claudiadelbalso.blogspot.com/

Mr Upstream said...

Dear Evil (I hope I can address you so-)

Mr Upstream is used to being followed, usually by people who want money. I welcome you to this erratic blog!

You may certainly 'tag' me, assuming the mark is not permanent, or failing that is aesthetically pleasing.

On a side note, many moons ago Mr Upstream enjoyed playing Dungeons & Dragons, but was forced to leave his group owing to the fact that his character had a six word vocabulary - "I hit it with my axe" - and was a cleric, which disallowed the use of edged weapons.

Mark K said...

Dear Mr Upstream,

Always a pleasure to meet a fellow dungeoneer of old.
I find your reviews a great read. I love your writing style, which I find very astute, often highly amusing, and sometimes worryingly scary, but intelligent. Although I do get the sneaking feeling you are akin to a reviewing version of Batman or Superman, hiding your true identity behind a persona of your creation, the concept of which I find brilliantly entertaining.

Although I am a tad confused regarding the middle finger? Is it bad to get a middle finger score or not? As I see some reviews fall not the negative and score zero middle fingers, whilst in one piece you say "Middle finger bad, you no want"? Hence my mild confusion?

Thank you once again, and keep up the great work. I look forward to reading your answers to the questions I am in the process of compiling.

All the very best to you, Mr Upstream.

Mark K said...

PS - I would, if you have the time to spare, appreciate your candid impressions and any advice on offer regarding my attempts at writing fantasy fiction. Good or bad, I need such feedback otherwise I'll never know how to improve and rise above the veil of average.

Again, my thanks